The Teenage Girl Diaries

SEPTEMBER 21ST
Dear diary,
I am soooooo happy! This day has been so perfect and I have to say that things are looking up from here. I could not have imagined a better birthday!! Well, the first part of the day was kinda bad, but everything else totally made up for it. At school, it seemed like no one had remembered that I was finally turning 13. It wasn't a good feeling -- it was like they didn't even remember that I existed.
And then, when I came home it all made sense. Can you believe Mom and Dad planned this whole party in secret? They redid the whole yard, and now we have a pond, fountain, and a path to the back where there is a hot tub!! And the best part, Dad got us four SGs to hang in the front. FOUR!!! I can't wait to talk to them. Plus, Dad remembered to get me "Resting Fierceness" and "Girl Reading to Little Sister"! He even got another one called "Summer Daze" that I didn't ask for. Best. Dad. Ever!
Also, everyone else in the class who was invited told me it was one of the best birthday parties so far. I was so happy that I started crying and hugged Mom and Dad in front of everyone. I'm so glad I won't have to go through the humiliation of going to school tomorrow after a lame party. Maybe I can actually invite Leslie over without her laughing at our pathetic empty yard. I think our new rack looks better than hers, honestly. Isn't simplicity prettier?
Anyways, my hand hurts from writing all these thank you notes to everyone who came. Oh! I almost forgot to mention why I'm starting this diary. Last night, Eva gave me a little gift too. I wasn't expecting it, but I guess she spent her allowance money on this diary. It's very nice, so I'm very grateful that she did this for me. Isn't she the sweetest? But she told me how Dad has been writing in this book of his for the past couple weeks. It gave her the inspiration for buy me my own. She thought it would "help me be happy by writing happy thoughts", in her own words. So that's what I'm doing now! And since I just have so many happy thoughts today, it's just perfect that I can share them with you. Maybe you'll feel happier reading this! 😃

SEPTEMBER 22ND
Dear diary,
Good news! More happy thoughts today. At school, people kept talking about my party. People even wished me a belated happy birthday. It's a big one, you know. Now, I'm officially a teenager. THIRTEEN YEARS OLD, I can't believe it. It seems like my life has only started now. Before, I was just going through the motions, but now I feel like I understand more. It's a good feeling.
Leslie came over alone today. I was exactly like I had hoped, and more. This is kinda mean to say, but when her mother called her a spoiled brat I felt like I agreed with her. I don't know. Leslie is a good friend, and going to her house is amazing, but sometimes I feel like I don't really exist when I am around her. She ignores me, and my feelings. That's not the case anymore. Now that I'm thirteen, I have my own SGs, and a pond (something Leslie doesn't have), I will be more than a doll to Leslie. I will be her friend. Gosh, this is so exciting! She promised we could go to her house next week when her newest horse (her tenth one!) arrives.
I feel like I finally have something to look forward to in life. We got assigned a project to present on out favorite things today. I'm so hyped to talk to the SGs about how they got to be here, hanging in my lawn. They're older than me and lived through so much, so I feel like they'll have some words of wisdom about getting through each day with head held high. It's like I've been waiting for this moment, for someone to give me the push to take control of my life. These SGs are honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me!

SEPTEMBER 24TH
Dear diary,
Things continue on the up and up. I finally interviewed all of the SGs, and man did they have great stories. Everyone will be hanging off their every word when I present this in class next week! School is great, Leslie sits with me every day at lunch now, and shares her personal-chef-made-lunches with me. I'm kinda sad she won't be there with me for high school though. Her mom has decided to register her into a prestigious private boarding school in Paris! She'll be living the life, and I'll be stuck in public school probably for the rest of my life.
At home, everyone is walking in the clouds. Dad is the happiest I've seen him in a while, and he and Mom have been mushier than ever. Eva is, well, being Eva, so to speak. She's been grumpy about the SGs. Can't she see that they are happy, and are bringing us joy too? I guess she doesn't understand it yet. She'll come around.

SEPTEMBER 25TH
Dear diary,
VERY VERY BAD NEWS. Eva did not come around, as I had thought, and instead RELEASED THE SGS. I have very mixed feelings about this. Mostly bad. It took me ages to put pen to paper and try to write out my thoughts. Firstly, I am surprised that she managed to pull it off. It's not like she's the brightest kid at school, but she was very resourceful in this case. I guess I should be somewhat proud of her taking initiative???
But the second, and more important feeling, is WHY DID SHE THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA???? I am angry, and upset, and disappointed at the same time. It's like she thinks the world revolves around her and what she wants. How could she ruin our whole family like this? Mom and Dad don't want us to know, but it's very clear that we don't have the money to throw on random things like Leslie does. And Eva goes and does this anyways. 
As angry as I am, I can't bring myself to blame her. That would be so easy. But was it really her fault? Wasn't it more of our fault for sheltering her and not explaining things to her? Wasn't it Mom and Dad's fault for not being careful with the SG contract? Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I don't understand the world like I thought I did. 
Who am I kidding? I'm barely a teenager, and just when I felt important, I'm back to being a tiny blip on the map. Like I don't even exist. Our family is in hot water. If Mom and Dad can't pay Greenway back, we might lose the house. I don't want to lose our home. I'd want the home, even with its weeds and no pond and no roses and no SGs. As long as my family was there. That's what's important, right?
I am dreading school tomorrow. People will hear about this soon. Leslie will hear about it. I don't think I can bear her false sympathy and hear about her new horse now. I don't think my friends will like hanging around a loser who got her SGs stolen. I don't think I can do my presentation if I don't even own them anymore. I don't think growing up is as great as I thought it would be. I don't think the world is as happy as it looks.

Works Cited
Saunders, George. "The Semplica-Girl Diaries." The New Yorker, 15 Oct. 2012. 

Comments